Saturday, April 7, 2012

Ruth Reichl and Lemon Pudding Cake

I am currently obsessed with Ruth Reichl's books.  She was the last editor of Gourmet magazine and is a former restaurant critic for the L.A. Times and the N.Y. Times.  Her books are autobiographical and wonderful!  She has a wonderful little website where she blogs and has information regarding upcoming appearances and the books she has written.

Her first book that I recently finished is Tender at the Bone. 


It was wonderful.  It started in her youth.  She talks about all of the people who influenced her obsession with food.  The book ends when she is in Berkeley and is becoming a part of the farm to table movement made famous by Alice Waters and Chez Panisse.  I couldn't put it down.  She is honest to the core about her faults, transgressions, neuroses.  It also makes you feel like you are sitting in a room with here reliving her life. 

But, the most interesting thing is that she has included recipes in the book as she goes.  After she talks about a recipe she made based on what she was going through in her life or what was troubling her at that time, she then gives the reader the recipe.  Now, not all the recipes are things I would try.  But, there was one I tried this morning.  It was the Lemon Pudding Cake.  I made it and have to admit, it is really very good.  If you like lemon meringue pie, then this is for you.  It is much lighter than pie and is perfect for a very light dessert.  I will admit that while I made it in a pan, I think it would be great to make in individual ramekins topped with a little chopped strawberries mixed with a pinch of sugar placed on top of the cake.  In fact, here is a nice little you tube Gourmet video providing helpful instruction on exactly how to make one.

I started Ruth's second book, Comfort Me with Apples, yesterday, and I am almost done with it.  It starts where Tender left off.  I intend to read all of her books, one right after the other.  She is that good!

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to make that lemon pudding cake. I see that it calls for a water bath. I'm convinced that a water bath just adds a moistness you just can't get any other way. Ina Garten's Brownie Pudding is baked that way as well. Ruth Rules!

    ReplyDelete