Sunday, April 8, 2012

If you have a daughter, you should read this ...

I love books.  I was an English major in college.  I wish I could go to college again though.  I read so much more now than I ever have, and I would love to go back and throw myself into my classes.  Oh, don't get me wrong.  I went to class and read all of my required reading, but I didn't appreciate how fantastic it was at the time to have that opportunity.  I don't know if many people do, at the time. 

One of the best articles I have encountered recently regarding literature is about the the great young adult literature that is out there for girls.  I can't take all the credit for finding this article.  It was posted by a lovely Facebook friend.  I posted it on my Facebook, but I know so many people out there who read my blog but are not on Facebook and most of them have daughters.  Obviously, the article originated out of the recent Hunger Games craze.  But, there were so many books on this list that I remember loving as a child (namely the Ramona books and From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil Frankweiler).  Enjoy and READ!!!!

P.S.  I would add Little Women to this list.  Just one that really seemed to be missing to me.

1 comment:

  1. Totally agree with adding Little Women. One of my all-time favorite reads and super empowering for girls.

    ReplyDelete